Learn about the benefits of maca and discover its properties to help the body balance hormones naturally. Maca is rich in B vitamins, vitamin C and E. It contains plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and amino acids.
What is Maca?
It is one of the cruciferous vegetables grown in the Andes of Peru, which looks like a cross between a radish and a turnip.
Maca is a root that belongs to the radish family, it is most commonly available in powder form. It is grown in the mountains of Peru; it has been called " Peruvian ginseng. " The benefits of maca have been valued for many years, and it has recently become popular as an ingredient and food supplement.
There are no known serious side effects of maca, but like any other supplement it should not be taken in large amounts.
Consuming too much maca can lead to adverse effects and throw your hormones out of whack.
Maca is an adaptogenic root that helps the body handle and control stress. It is characterized by increased libido and is nourishing to the adrenal glands. It is useful in promoting energy and promotes fertility in men and stimulates women.
1. Maca can help menstrual problems and reduce menopausal symptoms
2. High in energy boost due to B vitamins content
3. It has a nutty flavor which adds flavor to recipes
4. It can be used as a thickener in soups and smoothies
5. It is high in essential minerals such as calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
6. It can improve skin conditions like acne
7. It can help reduce anxiety, stress, depression or mood swings, as it contains amino acids that are the building blocks of feel-good neurotransmitters.
Take note and caution:
· If you are pregnant or lactating, you should avoid taking maca.
· Start with a few teaspoons and work up to a maximum of two tablespoons.
· Maca is a goitrogen (goitrogens are substances that can interfere with the function of the thyroid gland) so be careful if you have thyroid problems.
· Always talk to your doctor before taking a new supplement and check for possible drug interactions if you are taking them.
Maca smoothie to balance hormones
· 1 cup frozen blueberries
· 1 or 2 teaspoons Maca
· 2 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
· 2 cups of coconut milk with all the fat contained in a can (the fat is optional; it can also be taken with almond or rice milk).
· 1 tablespoon raw organic honey or 1/4 teaspoon stevia extract powder
1. Put everything in a blender until well mixed.
2. Drink everything or share it with someone else can be in the morning on an empty stomach or in the afternoon as a snack, and for better effects, make a treatment for several weeks or take it indefinitely with variations in the ingredients.
3. It is also advisable to improve the daily diet by eliminating processed foods, flours, dairy and refined sugar and adding rawer fruits and vegetables to your meals, also reducing stress, which are the main components in hormonal imbalance.